Browse Posts by Date
Our Broadcast Partners
Never Volunteered Abroad? This Could be Your Chance
Jo’s Nurses is a medical mission for current, active nurses who have never volunteered abroad but want to begin to incorporate volunteering into their careers. A small group of nurses (6-8) will travel with One Nurse staff to rural Honduras, where they will work alongside local nurses in various areas of a hospital as well as in rural clinics. One Nurse will provide pre-trip orientation and training so nurses are comfortable and informed.
When: November 5-11, 2012
Where: Rural Honduras
Cost: One Nurse will cover all trip costs except airfare
Application: Use the application on this site and note on your form it is for Jo’s Nurses. There is no application fee for Jo’s Nurses. All applications are due by September 15, 2012. We will let you know by September 30 if you are chosen for the mission.
- Current, active nurses (LPN, RN, ARNP)
- Must be Spanish speaking (translators will not be available)
- Attend 2-3 pre-trip meetings and information sessions (we are working on obtaining CEs for this)
- Nurse to provide airfare round trip Seattle to Tegucigalpa (approx $500)
- Be prepared to share educational opportunities with your local counterparts in Honduras — presentations and while working alongside
- Nurse to update any necessary immunizations and medications
- Nurse must have a valid passport
- Nurse commits to at least one international mission or local volunteer work in 2013
- Preference will be given to Swedish Medical Center employees
- All education levels and areas of expertise are welcome to apply
- Nurses will present their experience as a group to Swedish Nursing Grand Rounds in January 2013.
Jo’s Nurses is named after Marilyn Jo Schuyler, an early supporter of One Nurse at a Time, who set up a memorial fund to assist nurses who have never been on a mission before. She hoped the experience would ignite a passion for volunteering.
___________________________________About the Author: One Nurse At A Time is a 501 (c)(3) non profit organization created by nurses who are passionate about giving back to our local and global community through volunteer and humanitarian medical pursuits. We are dedicated to assisting other nurses enhance our profession as they too, look for opportunities to serve locally, nationally and internationally. onenurseatatime.org
Free Webinar Coming Up May 30 on University of San Francisco’s Online MSN
RX: Nurse Talk eBlast
A dose of what is coming up on the show and a laugh or two. Take one weekly.